RVM 1.16 is now available. This is a big release that includes new features as well as the stabilization of many existing ones.
The most exciting new addition is binary ruby installs. This is a set of rubies pre-compiled and stored on RVM servers (rvm.io). These binary rubies will be used by default, if available for your system's platform, when the install action is run. This will greatly speed up the installation of rubies, especially on very slow machines (like Raspberry Pi). This can also help solve compilation problems encountered by not having to compile. For more details on this shiny new feature, read
rvm help install and
rvm help mount.
We also aimed to improve security, specifically enhancing verification for downloads. RVM now ensures that it checks the downloaded archives. It is not possible to continue installation if there is no stored md5/sha512 for the archive. Of course as with nearly every feature, it is possible to toggle this behavior off and use the old behavior,
--verify-download 1 will allow using archives without checksum,
--verify-download 2 will allow using archives that do not match their checksum.
__ Here are a few highlights of the many feature enhancements and bug fixes for this release:
- Fix `--debug` flag, now showing important information about the installation process, especially useful for following the steps performed by RVM
- Reworked `rvm reinstall` to provide a better user experience
- Greatly improved zsh compatibility - we have identified and fixed potential compatibility issues
- Paths containing spaces, RVM is not yet ready for spaces but significant progress was made to add this support, this will also help to migrate code to RVM 2.0
- Code quality significantly improved, it is easier to read and we have eliminated multiple lines of boilerplate code
- Removed set actions: gem, rake and ruby; removed implicit all rubies for do action; they were deprecated a year ago with RVM 1.9.0
- Improved support for SmartOS
Finally a number of reported issues were fixed, the complete list is available here: https://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm/issues?milestone=17&state=closed Here is list of all code changes: https://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm/compare/1.15.10...1.16.5